Saturday, January 19, 2008

#46 Groundhog Day

Learning 2.0 (the first 23 things) was, for me, a chance to play and experiment with some new, and not so new, applications.

During the program I was focussed on finishing the program, now that I have finished I'm focussing more on how those apps can be used at/for work.

So much so that, in tandem with this blog, I am redoing the first 23 things (partly as a training aid), mainly thinking more about how they can be used at work and less about how I would use them.

The real eye opener for me was how many American Public Libraries are using these tools as part of everyday library life, not as an added extra sort of thing but as an integral part of the library's presence - a sort of not so much thinking about web 2.0 as doing web 2.0.

I'm surprised by the number of people at CoBLS that haven't 'embraced' 2.0 - some people I thought would be all over it are just not interested (can't understand it myself)

Some staff seem to thing it will bring about the end of libraries and librarianship as we know it. To those people I say "that is what people said 25 - 30 years ago when OPACs were being introduced"

The use of Web 2.0 will not replace Desk shifts, or booktalks, or storytimes, itwill complement and enhance them.

It gives patrons extra options for using the library and allows us to expand our services into the community and to the public.

I'm tempted to setup a mini learning 2.0 program, using just a few of the 23 things, to give those who haven't tried it a taste of the 2.0 experience.

You never know you might just enjoy it...

1 comment:

lib_idol said...

I think a vital aspect to "Library 2.0" is user interaction, and if a library hasn't cultivate that kind of interactivity in the physical library, then it's going to be hard to promote it on the online environment.

A library has to have a strong sense of being a community cultural development hub - a place where people come together and share and interact and create and learn, in the real world, and once this is established, then that is where "Library 2.0" can be really really valuable, because the interaction can continue outside the physical confines of the library.

Unfortunately, though, if people only see libraries as "a place to borrow books and stuff", then 2.0 is going to be lost on them.