Sunday, January 13, 2008

#42 Google groups/usenet

I did as instructed and had a look at the society.libraries.talk group. It was classifed as low usage although usage from year to year seemed to be increasing.

Interstingly the previous ten posts on the this group about libraries all seemed to be spam type postings. There was an earn $50-$100 online job posting; a posting about how to win a free i-phone; and 8 postings about persecution and MI5.

I then searched google groups for tap dancing (well, why not). The first hit was a tapdancer come motivational speaker; the next half dozen were all linked to a religion discussion group (it had picked up on the phrase 'tap dancing' as in 'tap dancing round the issue'). A salutary lesson on search terms there.

I even searched for a couple of groups I belonged to when the service was called Dejanews but nothing leapt out at me so I'll probably stick with the few Yahoo Groups I belong to.

No comments: