Tuesday, January 1, 2008

#32 Omnidrive

I've been using omnidrive for a while now. When I was studying I'd keep a copy of my notes stored on omnidrive so that If I forgot my usb drive (or was using one of the many pcs at uni with dodgy usb ports) I could still work on my notes or essays or whatever.

The free account offers 1gb of storage which was more than enough for me for study purposes.

It was also useful for group assignments - we could all access the most up to date changes to the assignment rather than having to email the others when we changed our part.

Since the demise of my PDA (pause to mourn briefly) I've uploaded the files that I kept on my PDA to omnidrive so that I can access them from any computer anywhere. (Drawback is that I need computer/web access - not always available in 2ndhand bookshops...)

I would have liked to explore box.net more, however it can't be accessed on the work computers (it's classified as peer to peer so is a no-no) and if I can only access it at home and 'on the road' it becomes 33% less attractive.

Having said that I've played at home and like the look of it and will probably use it as a backup drive at home.

From a library point of view both programs could prove useful for patrons to save documents they're not finished with, or if they just want to print something they've created at home (but don't have a printer); staff wise given the network setup it would probably only be used if we wanted to work on a document from home.

No comments: