Saturday, September 29, 2007

#7 Technology (Thoroughly Modern Millie)

Blog about technology hmmmmm...

Where to start?

One of the most useful sites I've come across of late is Zamzar. It's an online file conversion site; you upload the file you want converted (and specify what format/program you want it converted to) and they email it back to you in the format requested.

I've been going through my old floppy disks (floppy disks -what are they?) and using zamzar to convert the files on them to something my computer can understand.

Another website I've been spending a lot of time at lately is LibraryThing, in fact I'm gradually 'cataloguing' all my books onto it.

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) I entered all my books onto a database in Clarisworks.

Using zamzar I've been able to convert this 'catalogue' to a csv format and then import those records (luckily I'd included isbn's) into LibraryThing. The result is a very quick, remarkably painless, way of entering my older books onto a database with my newer books.

What is it they say about a Librarian's desire to collect, classify and catalogue?

1 comment:

Yarra Plenty Library Regional Library said...

Thanks fo rthe good technology tips. I certainly need to check our the file conversion site

Lynette