Friday, December 28, 2007

#26 Widget, widget, who's got the widget (wicked!)

Courtesy of yourminis I have added a calendar and a clock to my blog. (I desperately wanted to add 'Dilbert' cartoons but I couldn't work out howto resize them so that the whole strip was visible, and not just the first frame and a half - memo to self - homework for weekend)

Late breaking news - I couldn't help myself - I had to add a 'to do' list.

There was a huge range of widgets I could have added (and may still, see comment above) such as 'quote of the day', the weather channel, a 'to do' list and many, many, more.

For a while there this evening my blog was in danger of being 'widgetized' to within an inch of it's life - as I added widget after widget before deciding that widgets should be added in moderation so i settled on clock and calendar, with cartoon and to do list sitting on the interchange bench.

Widgets such as these would be very effective on a library blog (especially weather, news, clocks etc.) as they could localise and indivdualise a web presence (be it a blog or a social network, or even the web page)

4 comments:

Polyxena said...

This is tragic - I have been so busy playing around in Ning that I am still at #23 and you are streaking ahead. However, I was trying widgets in my page on the Explore..discover etc Ning network and after many widget goes ended up with Shakespeare quotes of the day, for the minute! There are a few Melbourne people here now, including one who just joined a few minutes ago. Did I invite you?

Polyxena said...

Correction - it was my Beyond the hype Ning page. I am getting confused about my identity.

fiona said...

I'm stagnating a bit with ning - I need a focus over there (ie: not just playing). I mean (for example)the Hawthorn History ning has a purpose and a focus. I'm hoping that 2.1 will give me that focus and inspire me at ning (or maybe I'm just lazy and need the structure of 2.1 :)

Polyxena said...

I have got a bit obsessed with Ning. I've been sick since Xmas Day and woke up on Boxing Day with this Hawthorn history ning in my head (as well as the sinusitis)! I think because I haven't been out much I have been at the computer.

I did a couple of book reviews today for libcoblog but the next step really is to get more people involved. It was great to get Annie involved. I think it has so much more potential than the blog for getting lots of staff involved, as they can blog, participate in forums, add photos etc. I notice that ancestry.com ads are appearing on HH so we have been discovered ;0). I really want more people on it but am not really ready to put it OUT THERE as it is so embryonic.

Why don't you have a go at setting up a CoB Ning for people we want to do Learning 2.1 and invite the 24 odd people who finished 2.0. You have the list of people. We would need to have links to the #things in the "official" blog and/or ning and other stuff. I have been mulling around in my head how to move that forward and this is one way to do that. If you do make a start at it, can you give me administrator rights? You can do that in Manage members.