Sunday, November 4, 2007

#22 Audiobooks (A pirate's life for me)

Worldebookfair

Personally this is not a resource that I would use as ebooks don't interest me all that much. Mainly, i think, because I find it easy to tune out voices and near impossible to tune out music (so maybe if the ebook was set to music... bizarre mental image of me listening to a musical version of Sun Tzu's "Art of war")

Librarily I think these online ebook libraries would be a boon. People could download them from home or from library computers and listen to as many, or as few, as they liked. Especially as MP3 is such an available format now.

I was interested in what, if any, mechanisms are in place to prevent piracy - for example: can I, instead of (or as well as) saving the book to my MP3 player, burn it to cd also? I mean what is to stop me (hypothetically speaking) from downloading something that's on the VCE reading list, burning mutiple copies to cd, and selling them to students?

I had a bit of an explore and couldn't find anything that specifically addressed that issue. Will continue to look (for interest's sake, not for nefarious reasons)!

No comments: