Sunday, November 4, 2007

#18 Web based Apps (Memory)

I've been using google docs for a while now - mainly the spreadsheet application. I use it to keep track of my to do list. Being web based I can access it from work and/or from home, or from anywhere where I have web access.

I've opened up an account with Zoho and had a bit of a play with its various functions. I really like the look of the planner as it seems to have most of the features I'm looking for - to do list, appointments, notes, I can email stuff to it, and it's free.

Looking at the list of "Web based productivity applications" it seems that if you have access to the internet then there is a huge range of web based applications. No need to carry round a memory stick (or floppy disc) with info that you want to be able to access on different computers. Instead you can have a half finished letter saved in zoho writer or google docs, a shopping list saved on remember the milk or tada lists, a calendar application that sends you an email to remind you of an upcoming appointment and so on.

I can also give other people access to this info if I want to. When planning a family get together I can check my sisters online calendar for a date we're all available, she can do likewise (it reduces the number of back and forth emails as we all try to decide on a date/time.

There is such a range of free, online apps that it makes me wonder if there is any real need to purchase Microsoft Office or similar programs anymore.

No comments: