Thursday, October 25, 2007

#14 technorati (Der Guten Tag Hop-Clop)

I've been having a look at technorati - I've managed to claim my blog (one of them) and create a watchlist - using one of my other personas.

Looking at the most popular searches on technorati - I recognised very few of the terms entered. The top search term was leopard (I'm guessing the new apple os, not the cat), next was noelia (no idea until I looked at the tags -now I wish I hadn't looked at the tags), third most poular search term was Mark Driscoll (once again no idea until i looked at the search results - he's an elder in the Mars Hill Church).

The three top favorited blogs are Boing Boing (cultural curiosities & interesting techie stuff), Blog tips to help you make money blogging (self explanatory), and Techcrunch (all things web & techie).

The three top blogs are Engadget (for gadgetaholics), Gizmodo the gadget guide (more gadgets) and Boing Boing.

Obviously I've been looking at technorati at the same time as the gadget freaks - I can see the usefulness of searching blogs for info on the leopard os - cos you'll get posts by users; but looking for blogposts on a church pastor? why? - if he's newsworthy (or even if he's not) I'd probably just google him - I doubt I'd think to use technorati for news of him.

I can see why the gadget blogs are favourites - there's some weird and wonderful stuff out there - and I like to read reviews from users of gadgets rather than professional reviewers - it's a sort of anonymous 'word of mouth' recommendation, to be supplemented by a third party review.

Perhaps we should organise for every participant to 'favourite' or search for the Victorian Public Libraries Learning 2.0 blog on a certain day/time.

Wouldn't it be cool to see a library blog in the top ten?

No comments: