Friday, May 16, 2008

#60. Facebook

I was watching tv yesterday morning (breakfast tv - I feel so ashamed) and the 'Today' show was 'interviewing' a technology guy who was basically saying that fb was on the decline - that the number of people signing up was decreasing, the number of regularly active accounts was decreasing, and so on.

I found that interesting as a couple of days ago I read a blog post that said that there were more applications currently being written for bebo than any other SNS.

I think Facebook and other SNS sites are great for libraries - it gives us a presence where our users (and potential users) may be, it enables us to publicise and promote our events to a wider audience, and it enhances our virtual library.

I've been on fb for a while now - I'm not the most active of participants, but I do check it most days, and I like to experiment with different applications.

I only wish more staff would get involved with the online tools available and see them as an opportunity, not a threat.

No comments: